Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
reggiewayne

Welcome Joshua! Glad you are here. I was where you are when I was 30. For me, 30 was the jumping off point. I'm not exactly sure when or why but from 30 to 35 when my drinking progressed very far. I went from drinking 5 to 9 beers in an evening to drinking close to a fifth of whiskey at times. My number of days drinking also progressed. I went from drinking 2 to 3 times to 3 to 4 times. So, I was drinking more per sitting and drinking more often = progression = alcoholism...

Like many have said, only you can really determine if you're an alcoholic. I know there are different stages of alcoholism as well. My only opinion on the matter is if you think you might have a problem, you probably do. Normally our "gut" isn't wrong about these matters. Again, I'm not saying you are and you're not saying you are, but asking the question might be sign.

My sponsor told me many times, if you want to see if you're an alcoholic try some controlled drinking for a few weeks. Never have more than 2 units of alcohol at a sitting. Try that for two weeks and see if it's hard to stop after the 2 beers.

I wish you the best of luck. If you do decide you want / need help we'll all be here for you!