View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Murray4x5
Proud Neonephalist

I went "of my own making" because I haven't read any books about recovery programs, attended any meetings, or seen a professional recovery expert (although my doctor knows I quit drinking and gave me the standard tests to make sure there weren't any health problems).

So far, I've been able to stay sober using the knowledge found in the science and research links here in the secular forum. I'm lucky, in that I led a relatively emotionally pain free life, and suffered no debilitating degradations or horrors which would definitely complicate things...

Knowing the physiological changes that have occurred in my brain from abusing alcohol, and what will happen in the future as my brain finds its way back to some semblance of natural equilibrium has been enough for me. Knowing that having just one drink will stomp the alcoholic gas pedal in my brain stem and limbic system, and it'll be back to square one again on the road to recovery is also keeping me sober.

Having said that, I'm 6.5 months sober and still getting intrusive urges about drinking that seem to come in waves, so I just might have to get outside help if they become too much to bear.

Murray