View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoloMio

I have been wondering about this as well. I was 52 years old when I bought myself a bottle of any alcohol--it happened to be wine. I had, of course, had a glass or two when the opportunity presented itself, but my kids were older, out of the house, and one day I said, I think I'll buy a bottle of wine. The reason I know I was 52 was because it seemed to odd that I had never actually bought a bottle of wine before, so I wrote about the "occasion" in my diary.

I'm still a 1-2 glass only person. But I really like wine. I like to have a glass when I cook. Maybe a glass with dinner. But this is a completely new trend for me, so, yes, it's crossed my mind as to whether or not I can "go there" in terms of abusing it.

Sometimes I think about that quote "What you resist persists"--and I thought of that quote right away when I read lillamy's post about wanting to make a choice independently of the alcohol/alcoholic. i agree. If I reject drinking totally, I know it's a reaction to my past, and I prefer to move forward

At this point in my life, I have no reason to believe I am also alcoholic, or have alcoholic tendencies.

But, I'm going to be honest. I'm watching myself. As Barb said, there are late bloomers out there, and I don't want to be one.