View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillamy

Changing your own habits (Tuffgirl)

Have any of you out there just quit drinking alcohol even though you are not an alcoholic, because you have born witness to the damage it causes? I used to love a good microbrew. Now its hard to sit with a drink in my hand and not have flashbacks to some horrid experiences.
I'm always iffy about talking about alcohol here because I'm a codependent and therefore worry about sending one of the As on the board into drinking by saying something positive about alcohol.

But I wanted to comment on Tuffgirls quote above. Because I struggle with this, too. Before I met AH, I used to have the fixings to make any of a whole slew of drinks at home, usually some 12 bottles of wine at any given time. I drank rarely, but I liked being able to offer someone a mixed drink or a glass of wine when they came over (I had an active social life and entertained a lot -- lived downtown and people would often stop by and chat on their way to a night on the town or after work.) I'd have a glass of wine while fixing dinner on Fridays, never liked the hard stuff.

I liked that. But post-RAXH? Seeing not only what his drinking created in the way of hellishness, but also hearing the stories of the mayhem other As create, not only do I not want alcohol in the house -- I can't enjoy a glass of wine anymore. I think another part of it is the transfer stuff he used to do (he wasn't an alcoholic, but he thought I drank too much. Which I know is laughable, but he had me worried, then). But it's more than that. It's hard to describe, but it feels like inviting evil into my body and my soul. I live a pretty healthy life, but I make my share of less-than-healthy food choices -- but that's different. I can enjoy a greasy burger or too much pizza because it's not my everyday fare. But I can't enjoy an alcoholic drink anymore.

I don't feel particularly sad about it. But I feel like it's not a choice I'm making actively. I just can't enjoy it on any level.