Thread: Volunteering?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Anna
Administrator

The same week I began recovering I 'fell' into a volunteer situation that changed my life. I also moved with my husband to a new city where English was not the primary language, so I wasn't able to work.

I got involved in a Women's Drop In Centre in the downtown core of a major city. It was a place where women who lived on the street, or in poverty could spend the day. I was privileged to meet and get to know some amazing women. These women could come in and greet us with a smile, even though they had no home, no family, no money at all. They were always grateful for some conversation or the offer of a pair of winter boots. Very quickly, my problems with recovery, were put in perspective.

I also became very close friends with a couple of volunteers who worked there, and one of them was truly a mentor and guide for me. Who knew? I started out thinking that I might have something to offer these women, and was surprised to learn that they gave me far more. I volunteered there for 8 years and it was truly one of the best experiences of my life.

This experience is one of those things that makes me absolutely sure that the Universe has a plan for me.