Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lushwell
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by pennywistle View Post
I have been thinking over the last couple of days about switching to a new job while I'm in the early stages of recovery, because the one I have now (I'm self-employed) seems more stressful and harmful to my recovery now that I really think about it.

Of course, not everyone has this option, but let's say someone who is leaving behind a reckless past and addictions needs to change their whole life, including getting a new job.
What kind of job would be good for them?
The question creates more questions. Once we are stabilized through a program of recovery, have means of support to maintain our chemically free walk in life, aren't we equipped to do anything? I haven't noticed any directives from any mainstream methods of recovery that imply that any profession is off limits, out of bounds, or unacceptable. I can think of a few that might be non-conducive. A conflict to and with our value system.

Truthfully, the pursuit of any job that is "stress free" in this economy may be a difficult goal to fulfill. Personally, I opt for being able to control the amount of stress I take on. Being employed by someone else removes that luxury. You eat what is put on your plate, or you will be finding another table to eat at. If you are lucky. I am fortunate that the damages of my using past are well distant. I'm aware they could return, but as far as what happened when I was using, and the instability of my early recovery, they are today a non-issue. Some of us may be dealing with more of the "wreckage of our past", and that may affect our decision of going on, or making a career change. If our boat has been swamped, the decision may of been made for us, and all that remains is a matter of accepting it.