Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
joedris

I was self employed for years (restaurant) and was told after I left rehab to sell the business because of the stress involved and easy access to alcohol. I didn't sell and am glad I made that decision 20 years ago. I made that decision for a couple of reasons. I loved what I was doing. I got a great deal of satisfaction operating a successful business even though I could have drawn a bigger paycheck without all the hassle if I accepted job offers in other fields. But job satisfaction is, to me, a lot more important than a paycheck.

Was the stress there? Absolutely! But I joined AA, and in working the steps I learned how to handle that stress. I had people to turn to, a sponsor to advise me, a new outlook on life that put stress into perspective. As for the easy access to alcohol? It was a non-issue. If I wanted to drink again I could just as easily have walked across the street to the ABC store and grabbed a bottle.

So I'd advise you to carefully consider you options here. As Anna said, something that's fulfilling and that you love to do are important considerations. But take a look at your current job. Maybe it fulfills those criteria. If it does, then I suggest you consider how to deal with the stress rather than running from it. There's no guarantee that you won't end up in a position that's more stressful.

Changing jobs as part of changing your whole life sounds a little like the geographical cure of leaving town to get sober. It doesn't work. Now, if your job is one of those "people, places or things" that will threaten your sobriety then certainly get out now. But as Toronto said, there's no black/white answer. You have to take a lot of things to think before you make the decision, and I'm sure that others will come up with a bunch of other points to keep in mind.