View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lushwell
Ozone Ranger

You'll find the answer to your questions in the first step. You will have to look a little deeper for it, however. Acknowledging the first step, and accepting the first step, are two different things. Acknowledging step one is just that....we are aware of it as a concept. We don't verbally reject it. We also don't believe it to be a fact. For sure. For me, anyways. Maybe some of you dimwits. So step one becomes "most of you are powerless". Most of "you" have manageability. I, however, am unique. I will, however, go along to humor you, and to show that I'm "one of you". In some circles its called lip service.

Acceptance of step one differs in that the person who has come to grips with their powerlessness, and recognizes their unmanageability, will self confront and safeguard against further control freak activities. They recognize that the weight of acting as owner and director of everything and everyone in their small little world is sinking their ship. For real. And their desire to survive outweighs their control freak tendencies. In order to keep their boat afloat, they safe guard against the further loading of rocks in their boat. We can't wish these tendencies away. They are a part of who and what we are. It takes effort and constant awareness. And practice. Support helps. Nobody else can do this for us, and that is not the purpose of the support network. The network supports us in the change. When we try to make an end run, try to slide one last shot at directing the play, the support network calls us on it. Discusses and plans methods that don't promote unmanageability. That doesn't inflict harm on ourselves and others.

Acceptance of step one has evidence. It becomes obvious when the unmanageability dries up. Frustration, anger, fear of loss of control, [you know, when you get those rapid heartbeats when you aren't in control], and the hatred directed at you for seizing control of another's life lessens. That's evidence that there is acceptance.