View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

Welcome to SR Flman,
I don't believe in a "spirit" so I don't know if I belong in a spiritual program.
Defining and redefining what I read and hear to fit my understanding or experience is challenging...sometimes, at the least...but often it is neccessary to maintain my sanity. I've got myself into conversations with other members about what "spirituality" means, and none of them could find the definition in NA literature. You know why?

Because NA does not tell us what spirituality means...we have to define it for ourselves!

The Basic Text refers to the "spirit" as a "spark of life." Our literature also refers to the bottom that most of us reach as "spiritual bankruptcy." It even talks about how, during active addiction, we lost the ability to "feel human" and refers to this as our spirits being "broken." For me, it wasn't too difficult to associate spirit and/or spirituality with disposition, mood, feelings, behavior and attitude....not belief or the supernatural.

Even our "spiritual principles" are no more than guidelines for happiness, hope, healing and harmonious interaction with the world we live in. For me, spirituality isn't about religion or worship...it's about living.

I'm coming up on 13 yrs clean in NA and I have no plans on leaving because of how others interpret the program. "During our recovery, each of us comes to our own understanding of the program." - BT, pg. 96

G