View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
silly

A wake-up call to all of us

I went to my evaluation and therapy appointment today. Wow... A lot of paperwork!
I thought I was feeling pretty good... But as the psychologist was asking about my withdrawal symptoms he became concerned. So much so that he called the on-call pyschiatrist and told me I should be concerned, too. His professional advise: go to detox or go to the pyschiatrist ASAP. He said he couldn't even tell me to stop drinking completely until I did one of the two.

Let's be clear on some things before I continue:
I am at work today as usual, i.e. I can function rather well and it's been a good day so far
I have not had a drink since Tuesday evening
I slept ok (not great) last night
I didn't even notice my slight shake until he pointed it out
I chalked up my other symptoms to a mild flu (fever, diarrhea, night sweats, confusion, no appetite)

He explained something I already knew but perhaps didn't really believe... Alcohol withdrawal is more dangerous than withdrawal from heroin, cocaine, crack. Getting physically stable is essential. It is honestly dangerous to do it alone.

I'm sharing this with the group because I am concerned for myself and for all of you who are trying to detox without help. Alcohol is a dangerous addiction, even when we aren't drinking!

Please be careful and reach out for help when you're ready.