Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ISPYSOBRIETY

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.

I'm just going to say this...
You have one decision to make, to live with or without alcohol.
The rest of the people and events in your life, are sort of like "business as usual."

If you choose to abstain from alcohol, like most of us at SR do, you have to place every other aspect of your life AFTER it. Don't be affraid to do this. You won't be selling anyone or any of the events in your life short of anything. Sobriety offers the opposite, MORE ability to rationally process the events and react with control and self-discipline.

I understand your daughter might have a relationship with him. That's not important. She's forming a relationship with your boyfriend, an alcoholic and person with mood swings. Removing her from that to place her into your new sober life is going to benefit her in ways you can't imagine.

He has to decide what he wants to do for himself. As you know, nobody can make an alcoholic quit drinking and STAY sober for life. You can only bend their ear until they do what you want them to do. That's only until they decide to do what THEY want to do.

Choose wisely, You are about to graduate college and now you have chosen to refuse being a slave to alcohol. First of all Congratulations on being a positive, realistic adult. Second of all, congratulations on being a roll model for your daughter. If your daughter learns to cope with adversity 1/2 as well as you, she will be a stronger woman for it.

That being said, you know what you have to do. WHEN, not if, your boyfriend moves forward, you might be better off considering him as more than just a friend. In the meantime, you need to heal yourself for your sake and for your daughters sake and it won't happen living in negativity.

For most of us, alcohol is an all or nothing deal. You're probably not going to be able to babysit an alcoholic, tend to your child, heal yourself of alcohol and apply your new education towards security and better tomorrows, all at the same time.

Decisions, decisions.... Good luck!