View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Ethan, your story sounds somewhat familiar to mine about 2 and half years ago. It progressed for 2 years until I started to have some withdrawal issues when I didn't even realize I was detoxing. The reason I was able to get to that point, basically a full blown alcoholic drinking about 4-5 days a week and really heavy thursday - sunday, was because I didn't have anyone watching me. Not only that I learned how to conceal it. It became a daily obsession and it turned out to be harder work for me to stay drunk than it was to quit drinking.

When I started drinking earlier on the weekends I never thought that a few months later I would be drinking when I woke up on weekends, and never thought a few months later I would be drinking at noon on weekdays, and a few months later, (a couple of days a week I would be drinking on weekday mornings.....but I let it progress to that point without even knowing it. Basically it sneaks up on you, and over my 27 years of drinking it ended up basically taking over every aspect of my life. I went to work every day, paid the bills, stayed out of trouble for the most part, and no one really knew...not even me.

If you really feel like it is giving you problems, just stick around the board for a while and see what you can learn. The hardest part is finally accepting that you might have a problem, then you can decide what you want to do about it.