View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ethan

Afternoon Crave..Afternoon Cave

I just logged on after a two year absence. I spent most of the morning reading other's stories and posts. I never wanted to give up drinking completely but as you all know that the only choice for people like me (us). I have been drinking since I was 15 and now I'm 48. Having raised 3 kids there was a period of years where I was somewhat responsible. Didn't drink during the week, never getting too hammered to the point of child endangerment, etc. Since the kids have all went off to college and I got divorced four years ago there has been nobody to shake their finger at me when I want one more drink at 10 on a work night. For the last 4 years I have not went more than 3 days without a drink. I am remarried to a wonderful woman 14 years younger than I. Its great! We do everything together, tennis, biking, golf, go to the gym...oh did I mention we love to share a drink(s) together! Granted she is still at the stage where she can quit after 2 or 3 but I have certainly gotten past that point. I rarely have hangovers and never miss a day of work. I can't think of any harm my drinking has done to others. I do however have this guilt the next day..most days because of my inability to stop at 2 or 3 because I want to keep that feeling going. I drives me crazy when I catch myself sneeking a few chugs right from the bottle after I've put my glass in the sink for the night or before wwe go out for dinner.

Today I was going to give quitting a try but, as in the title of my post, my afternoon craving is kicking in and I think I might cave in and just have beer tonight. I have already justified in my head that if I stick with beer I will not get so lazy and get some things done around the house and fall asleep on the couch at 8:30. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does it get easier on day 4 or 5?