View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peter G

Originally Posted by joplin06 View Post
So does anyone have any ideas about winging myself off without a doctor? I understand it can be dangerous, but I really don't have another option. Also I'm not taking 8 mg of Xanax a day. I was just saying that that was the last time I did them and it won't affect me much. On average, last week it was more like was more like 4 to 6 a day. And before that it wasn't usually an everyday thing.
If you trust yourself enough and have a large enough supply to wean the dosage yourself, that's a second best. It's a poor solution IMO but it's something. Having said that there are plenty of doctors out there who will help without recording the "why's" of your treatment. I've had doctors give me medical leave from my work - obviously due to alcohol withdrawal - explained by the doctor as "lower back pain".

All you have to do is explain your situation and I can almost guarantee that a doctor who has seen a benzo withdrawal in full swing will help you as discretely as you need it. If you must take care of it on your own, read as much as possible about how the doctors who specialize in this area treat the weaning process, and try and mimic what they do with your own supply. But really bro, it can go bad quickly. That's why supervision is necessary. I would definitely seek out a doctor who can help you without hurting your record. They are out there, just ask and explain your situation.