View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Mattcake

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Matt...that's really cool I actually think it's because I don't want anything interfering with my relationship with God that I hesitate to go the AA route...it also might explain my ambivalence about going to Church...I've only found 2 Churches that I actually enjoyed going to and felt bolstered my relationship rather than hindered it.
I can totally get the ambivalence thing. I've ranted about the effects of my religious upbringing in another subforum. I've since declared a truce. It's ironic though, during the (still ongoing) process of letting go of my resentments, I have experienced some really nice moments within the framework of certain religions (I won't mention which ones ;-) )

A couple of months ago, my friend gently encouraged me to "test the waters" again... I wound up finding a lot of comfort in a chapel near my place, contemplating a statue of the Virgin Mary. My forays into certain temples allowed me to meditate for hours, in the company of others, and it was amazing. So...pure ambivalence, lol.

Anyway, regarding AA, I think that it's potentially a life-changing philosophy and experience. I mean, there are so many miracles right here in SR Maybe someday.. not right now, though, but it's not like I'm writing it off.

There's no one size fits all, but hopefully we'll all be able to find out true paths in recovery.