Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
joblo

Campral - USER BEWARE! Caused manic episodes worse than benzo withdrawal!

My doc prescribed me "Campral" which was something like $158 to fill...w/insurance it was still almost $30. I was prescribed 2 tablets 3x/day and was issued a bottle of 180 (wtf?) which is supposed to reduce your alcohol cravings. I'm here to tell you this crap is one of the most evil drugs I've ever put into my body. I took it all day 2 days ago so that was 6 tablets and over the course of the day I became increasingly manic and somewhat mentally unstable and I assumed it was just my valium taper...I usually take 200mg seroquel to sleep (I break my 400 in half) and I sleep good through the night. 2 nights ago I had to take an entire 400 which is enough seroquel to tranquilize a horse and I woke up multiple times through the night with vivid dreams and mental discomfort. When I woke in the morning I felt like every bit of emotion was sucked out of my body and felt completely awful. Following doctors directions w/o having realized what was causing my discomfort, I took another 2 camprals. I then sat in my living room crying for about 30 minutes prior to prepping myself for my shift at work...took 2 5mg valium in hopes of calming myself to a normal state of mind (which normally makes me a bit loopy) and had almost no effect....I didn't understand what was happening to me. I had to take another 2 just to stabilize myself mentally so I didn't have to ditch work for the emergency room (which I can't afford to do). At this point, I felt mentally stable but I certainly did not feel under the influence of 20mg of valium. At this point I called my pharmacist and described my acute symptoms and he said campral is known to cause those kinds of effects in some people and advised me to immediately stop taking it. At this point, I am infuriated with my psychiatrist who prescribe this freaking poison to me as I was just getting my mind and body back to normal and tapering down on the valium....very very angry about this situation considering I actually paid almost $30 to feel this way and was advised my a doctor to do so. This is why I hate taking meds I'm not familiar with so for anybody else going through withdrawal I would advise you to just freaking deal with the cravings and forget the campral poison....if you do some fact checking on side effects, it shows that it can cause manic episodes and insomnia....ya, that sounds like a really good med to prescribe people who are already suffering from those symptoms due to alcohol withdrawal. Christ almighty, it makes me wonder what the hell these doctors are thinking sometimes....recovering alcoholics beware, stay away from campral!