View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nacona

I changed doctors recently. I wanted one closer to my work. I went to see her for the first time Friday and the first thing I said is that I am an opiate addict and alcoholic.

For me - I have to do that or I will manipulate the doctors to get what I want.

I tell everyone that I am a drug addict and alcoholic....and I have no idea why I do that.

I guess I don't think about what they might be thinking of me, but I'll tell ya....I have had many people approach me and ask me about it. A lot of people are so afraid to "come out of the closet" for the very reasons you have stated and they sit alone dying from this disease (or whatever you choose to call it.)

My friends who are not addicts or alcoholics researched the disease so they can better understand me. It's not just the drinking and using that are my problems; it's the decisions I make and the things I do.....sober.

I want to recover from this disease and all it entails as it is SO much more than just drinking and using.

I have back problems too. I was put in a "back class" which I went to last week and I start physical therapy next week and it feels SO good to be taking care of myself that way instead of taking pills for it (which I did for many many many years.)