View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I hate being labeled a "alcoholic". I have noticed that anytime (outside meeting) I have admitted to being one I have been discriminated against.
Then most likely, you did yourself a favor by filtering those people out of your life. Why would you even want those petty people in your life?

I don't pour my life story onto anyone or offer up the fact that I am alcoholic, but it sometimes comes up. Most of the time people don't push after I tell them I don't drink and sometimes one must be firm with people who push. Depending on the situation, if someone asks if I am an alcoholic, then I might say yes. If they treat me differently for it, then to hell with them.

However, I do practice much more discretion about my alcoholism is in the professional realm.

I have over 2 years sober and have been questioning whether or not alcoholism is really a disease? I know what the AMA states but still. I just had a physical with a new doctor and did not tell him I'm a recovering alki. I think I did the right thing.
I don't think it is a disease. However, it doesn't really matter that much to me what you call alcoholism; a disease, a malady, an illness, an affliction, a substance abuse disorder, etc. At the end of the day, alcoholism is real. It is dangerous. It is destructive. It is deadly.

If you are interested, there is some conversation about this topic, in this thread.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a_disease.html