Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JoeCree

I can't say much for the mining industry (as I am in consumer packaged goods), but IMO you will face someone (always) who will shun you because of your conviction.

Instead of fretting with it, and worrying about legalities - my suggestion is to follow your career aspirations and let the chips fall where they may, life goes on after all.

Assuming you are a good guy (inside) and are truly regretful for your actions and are in a recovery program, also to never touch a sip of alcohol again you can use this for a positive.

I am in sales, and the number one rule I follow is to always be prepared for the worst when I go to prospective clients. I imagine what the most negative outcome could be and I have a plan to counter it.

In your case, the most negative outcome would occur in an interview, perhaps an HR manager who will not look kindly on you regardless of your academic success, etc.... You need to have a neutralizing plan. Off the top of my head, I would suggest looking to become a full time volunteer for MADD. Do this (because you want to) but also because it will help you ---- now in your interview, if the topic is brought up you can counter all the negativity with something way over the heads of the question askers.

After all if the MADD group can forgive and accept - and you become a contributing member volunteer, then most reasonable people will believe you have changed and deserve a second chance.