Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
northland

To those with criminal records, or anyone else interested

I've been thinking about going to school to take Mining Engineering, but the only thing holding me back is that I have a criminal record. I am trying to do as much research as I can on the issues that arise from me having a criminal record, and whether or not it would be a good idea to spend 4-5 years in school to go into the Mining Industry.

Every province, state, and country has different laws. I am going to post the legislation for where I live, and see what everyone thinks. So, in British Columbia, where I live, only those who work with Children and Vulnerable Adults are required by law to have a criminal record check done before being employed. Many other jobs require criminal record checks, but they are not required by law, they are company standard. The offenses reviewed under the act are in the following link.

Offences Reviewed Under the Criminal Records Review Act - Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General

The professions that are required to have criminal record checks are...
Who Must Have a Criminal Record Check Under the Criminal Records Review Act - Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General

Even if you have been convicted of one of those offenses, it doesn't disqualify you from working in one of those professions. It just makes it harder.

In BC, like most places, everyone has rights, even convicted criminals.

"B.C.’s human rights legislation provides protection for people who have been convicted of a criminal or summary conviction offense, or a perceived conviction (i.e. arrest or stayed charges) that is unrelated to the employment or the intended employment of that person."

more info here.GroundsProtection

According to the human rights coalition, an employer cannot legally deny employment based on past criminal offenses, as long as they don't relate to the job. Unfortunately, this isn't how it is. Many companies ask if you have a criminal record, but from what I understand, many of them don't really have the grounds to even ask.

So, here's my situation. I pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death, and was recently released from jail. I am trying to put this behind me, and move on with my life. I am looking at going into Mining Engineering, but am very apprehensive about it, due to my criminal record. I am afraid that even if I complete the schooling, I won't be employable because I have a record. Legally, it shouldn't make a difference, from what I understand. But so many companies nowadays do criminal record checks, and its just the way it is. And lots of people miss out on jobs due to their past.

Anyways, I'm looking for some advice. This was an isolated incident, I have no other criminal convictions, but I am afraid it will hang over my head for the rest of my life. I want to move on with my life, and become a productive member of society, but the harsh reality of our society is a criminal record means bad news. By the time I'd finish school, it would be ~10 years since the accident happened. Even if a possible employer knew about the accident, do you think they would most likely overlook me because of it, or do you think they would give me the benefit of the doubt, and acknowledge the fact that I did all the schooling after, and changed my life tenfold? Or do you think it will even matter? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks