View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Onewithwings

I am planning to homeschool my son. We will be out and about as much as possible-- zoos, museums, galleries, aquariums, sports games, etc, and have lots of social support. I don't worry at all about socialization. From what I remember in school, socialization was discouraged because we were supposed to be paying attention in class. I am more of an eclectic-style homeschooler/unschooler, so what my son learns will be based around his interests. I learn so much on my own, and he is learning in leaps and bounds now at 2 1/2, so what makes me think that at age 5 kids suddenly stop being self-motivated learners and need to go to school and be force-fed information and taught to regurgitate it onto standardized tests? I believe in child-centered learning. I think back to all of my interests as a kid. What did I want to be when I grew up? Heck, it changed every month! Astronaut, Surgeon, Astronomer, Midwife, Rock Star! lol! I want my son to keep his passion for learning. I learned at an early age that learning was no fun, and independent thought was not important. I went to public school where test scores were most important and we could only learn about our own interests in our spare time-- if we had any between school, homework, and chores. Now I have learned more in the last 6 years since I graduated than I ever did in school. I want my child to have time to pursue his interests and be what he wants to be, not what I or anyone else thinks he 'should' be.