Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bretmd

Helping a friend battle an Oxicodone Addiction

Going to meet with (lets call him J) J's family members and a friend or two about what to do with J's very serious addiction to Oxycodone.

Background:
We have been good friends for a long time. Now at 27 years old, J has been addicted to pills for 4 years. Started with Vicodine and Percocet. He has been on Oxycodone for over 2 years, sniffing them like coke preferably.

We have experimented and had our fun over the years. Alcohol, pot, coke, but pills seemed to be the drug that didn't let go.

He has tried to quit at least 10 times. Gets very sick and ends up back in it. He has lost his job, and sold off everything of value to buy pills. He even got in trouble with the law by forging a prescription for some and getting caught.

I have read a lot of very useful posts and have a plan on what he will need to do to get through the withdrawals.

I notice there are some drugs he can take to help him get off these pills. (suboxone)

I understand that he may get addicted to this drug, but how damaging is it. I would rather he be addicted to a different safer drug than continue letting the oxy's tear his body down. I am realistically doubting he can quit cold turkey.

Anyone on here quit by having the help of marijuana? We live in Oregon, I am a grower for a couple friends with serious problems that pot really does help. I have done many drugs my self but I have an understanding of which ones do legitimate harm. I have no doubt in my mind that pot is safer than Suboxone, so I am looking for a open minded answer on this.