View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Shellcrusher

I am not at the point where my son would be in an actual school yet so I can't talk about the pros of homeschooling. Here's what I can say.

My son is 19 months old. We've been fortunate with dual earners to send him to Montessori/school since he was roughly 7 months old. He's well acquainted with kids, has manners, is becoming pretty independent, cleans up after himself, and in general shares well and is conscientious of other people.

He has a few friends that stay home or go to a families home. They do not play nice, don't know how to share, act rather clingy, bite, fight, cry, bully, etc.

What's my point? I think children need to be around other children to gain the greatest benefit in life. We're a social species and while they may get a better education at home, I suspect they will suffer in the socializing aspect.

I don't know the whole scene in your family but just because a kid doesn't like school, doesn't mean they should be home schooled. If you're interested in arts, there are plenty of opportunities to take that on yourself.