View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
reggiewayne

Good topic. For me the obsession leaving has been gradual. I am 41 days sober and I can honestly say I the thought of drinking has not sounded good in the past two weeks. At first, I had very bad cravings. I had to sleep a lot at first and just take care of me. I went to a lot of meetings and prayed to my HP. I also participated in this site. I remember having cravings so bad to drink that I didn't think could get through them.

One thing that I did when a craving came is try and do something responsible. If I were at work, I'd organize something. Or if they happened at home (which was typically the case at night) I would start cleaning my house. I would clean until the craving past. Sometimes that was two hours long. I can't tell you how important this was to be overcoming the craving and start the process of recovery.

REMEMBER: IT'S NOT HOW YOU FEEL, IT'S WHAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! This idea was completely new to me. For so long, I was at the mercy of how I felt. If I felt I needed a drink, I would have to have one. In recovery I have learned that I don't have to act on every thought / emotion I get.

You sound like you are right where I have been many times. Hang in there. Maybe try some of my suggestions. I will also say, I could not have done this without AA and my sponsor. For me, recovery is multi=sided coin. There are so many things I use to keep me in recovery. I don't depend on just one. Best of luck to yoU!!!