View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GrowingPains

a. It ended up being an ultimatum. I hit a wall after he spent an entire canoe trip getting as drunk as possible. We'd discussed the problems his drinking caused before and he would occasionally quit or moderate, but the drinking would always escalate and cause yet more problems.

b. I talked him into staying somewhere else. I run a business out of the home, whereas he works for other people, so it would be far more difficult had I moved. We were able to negotiate everything reasonably, as he's a reasonable person when not drunk.

c. I'd hoped he'd decide he missed me and our life and would make some changes on his own, but his addiction won out. I gave up after a couple of weeks and ended up filing for divorce 3 months later.

d. Thankfully, neither of us wanted kids. I can't imagine dealing with that on top of everything else.

e. Even though I knew it was the right thing to do, it was still excruciating. It took a lot of faith that things would get better, a great support system and frequent visits here to get me through the worst of it.

Best of luck to you.