View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lorelai

Great topic, Magic.

When I started working on Step 4 (still muddling through), I tried many approaches. One approach was to make a list of all of my personal characteristics that were good and all the ones that needed improvement.

My "Needs Improvement" list was easy and long. All of my failings were on the tip of my pen. My "Good" list was much harder and much shorter.

I told my girls (teenagers) about the list I was making and asked for suggestions. Throughout the next couple of weeks, they would notice something I was doing and say "Put that on your good list. You're a good cook. or You stopped to help that lady. or You are really funny." Sometimes they would say "Bad singer. Put that on your 'Needs improvement' list and stop singing."

The point to me was that, if I took the time to notice things I did in my life, I would find my assets. I just never took the time to notice them before.

Now, I often smile to myself when I see good traits in other people and say, under my breath, "Put that on your good list".
L