View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magichappens
Dancing To My Own Beat

Thought Week Ending 7/31, Acceptance

JT, Lorelai, everybody,
The suggestion of having a topic for the week is great. Let's get this rolling. We want your stories, experience, strength and hope about acceptance. Also if you have read anything that made a difference to you, let us know where to find it.
My acceptance started with acceptance of myself. For years I felt like I was a horrible person. I was the root of everyones' problems. I beat myself up for all the flaws that I saw in myself, including the fact that I couldn't make others happy. When I came into Al-Anon, I was told that I needed to accept myself, good, bad, and indifferent, exactly as I am. Before I could begin to change those things about me that were not healthy, I first had to accept that I wasn't just those traits. I have a lot of good traits that I didn't give myself credit for. Realizing that I was a good person with some unhealthy habits was much gentler than focussing only on the bad. It also gave me a lot of understanding that others were also this way. Being honest about who I am has allowed me to get to know me. That is one relationship I never had before. If I had treated someone else the way I treated myself, I would have hurt them very badly. Acceptance is the first step in forgiving and loving myself.

Now it's your turn.........I am looking forward to this! Magic