View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dratsab

I agree with what you said... I don't think the author of the chapter gives room to interpret it so that God to be a "God as we understand God". It is of a specific type of God that has a level of participation in our lives (the all powerful creator). I also feel like the chapter is towards those who have become disillusioned by God and religion and is really trying to convince them to come back into the flock and accept God once again. I felt like the author is saying that it's OK to be agnostic, but your wrong.

I personally found no comfort in the "We Agnostics" chapter. I pretty much ignore the chapter because I begin to become a little bit self-righteous and condescending (which does more harm than good for my recovery).

I feel uncomfortable using the term "God" and "Power" (with a capital 'P') because I feel like those terms imply something much more than just something greater than ourselves. The way I try to get around this is by replacing every reference to "God as we understand God" (and even "a Power greater than ourselves") with "a resource that is greater than ourselves". When I do that, I can comfortably understand and accept not only step 3, but step 2 as well.