Old 01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Verbena

Hello, Maverick and welcome.

I'm new here myself. I've been web searching to learn all I can about alcoholism for several months. That search landed me here and I found a lifeline.

My research has also led me to believe that Codependency is a word not well-defined. It means different things to different things to different people. You can find excellent descriptions of codependency on this site and others. There are a lot of books on the subject.

I often behave in ways that could easily be described as co-dependent and so does my AH. But, I also engage in strong and powerful behaviors. I agree with barb dwyer's answer to your question.

For example: I bring my husband lunch in bed most days even though he's perfectly willing to make his own (unhealthy) lunch. I want him fed and sleepy so I have my afternoons to work uninterrupted. I'm currently going through all our personal papers, finances etc. He knows I'm cleaning out the file cabinet. He doesn't know I'm also making my self copies of everything and putting it in a small portable lock box so that should I need or want to leave I can pick up and go. I also am building a personal cash stash. I garden and grow about 90% of my own vegetables. I do some decorative sewing and right now I'm re-doing my kitchen. See what I mean? Kinda powerful and Kinda co-dependent.

I'm really not interested in wallowing in my co-dependent behaviors. I'm also not interested in crying about being a victim, a martyr or a prisoner. I am very fortunate that my children are grown. I'm done with tears. I'm taking my life back.