View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Antiderivative

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
I'm not sure if I can imagine never being able to chill out with some beers someday or I don't know...maybe it's just my alkie mind thinking right now.
If you are posting on this board, then chances are that you do not just "chill out with some beers". If that is all you did, then you wouldn't be here. Non-alcoholics "chill out with some beers".

It certainly seems that your so-called alcoholic mind is doing the thinking right now. It seems that you are minimizing, rationalizing, romanticizing, and lying about your drinking. This may lead you to another drink. It is dangerous thinking for an alcoholic.

If you have a reservation about your drinking, then you may drink again one day. If you are an alcoholic, I sure hope you don't. There is no need for that self-destructive behavior. When alcoholics drink, we sooner or later invite negative consequences into our lives and over time that ante keeps getting bigger...or it did for me.

You can try the 24 hour approach. Just don't drink one day at a time. Seriously, that is all we have--today. Tomorrow may never come and it won't for some people on the Earth, including some active alcoholics.

Dum loquimur, fugerit invida aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.