Thread: I don't know.
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nyte Byrd

Originally Posted by Benowhere View Post
The 12 steps are NOT a panacea and should not be promoted as such.
No one stated that they are. Some people merely share their strength, hope and experience from their own AA experience involving the 12 steps from their learnings of it being a 'thinking' problem, rather than a 'drinking' problems in the hopes maybe it can offer help to others.
Is that so bad?

Why are people allowed to get away with saying this?
The same reason you are allowed to get away with saying what you shared. Or are you unique?

Is this an official AA forum? If so, why isn't it announced as such.
Is it an unofficial AA forum? If so, should it be announced as such? AA has been an important part of many peoples' recovery. Granted, it's not for everyone, but when it's obvious, NOT attending meetings isn't working for someone, offering the suggestion to do so, surely isn't threatening anyone. Apparently, it seems to be a sore spot for you for some reason.

There are a massive amount of people who aren't suited to sitting in groups 'sharing'.
Yes, I am aware of some people who don't have what it takes to be teachable and sit and just listen. And it's why some of them don't stay sober too long. Just read some of the posts here who just try to rely mainly on internet support.

But the big book bashers here have to insist it is the answer to everything from addiction to mental illness, physical illness, pain relief etc.
The only one I see here bashing anything is you. The only thing anyone else did was share what worked for them in identifying with their own involvement with the steps.

Unethical.
Nothing unethical about anything other than suggesting AA sharing or suggesting shouldn't be offered on this forum. According to you, maybe all AA'er sharers on this forum should just cancel out of here, would make someone like you perhaps feel more at home?