View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Freyakitty

That's really sad but a worthwhile thread. I have been told by countless friends that just having one is "healthy" but it takes so much effort just to have the one. I wonder how many people are honest about not wishing to keep going and finish a bottle. I stopped drinking because even just one drink would make me not want to do anything. I would come home and just sit on the couch despite the fact that I am self employed and should have been doing paperwork or cleaning the flat. My friends all think that by stopping that I am "attention-seeking"; trying to be different. They all want to know how much is "too much" when I told them that I had stopped drinking because I felt that I was drinking too much. When I tell them how much, they laugh because that's "normal". Thankfully, I'm also vegan and am used to people commenting on my eating habits so it hasn't deterred me from my recovery. It just shows (or hope it shows) that to those individuals who drink one a day - must ask why because I bet that if they did abstain, they may not get acute withdrawal symptoms but I bet that they would feel the post acute ones and I believe personally that as much as it hurts and is mentally painful, these are the juicy bits of life (good and bad). Sobriety to me is about honouring oneself and the body that we were given!