View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dratsab

I didn't say that I don't believe in a Diety (see: the watchmaker). I just don't think that turning my life over to anything outside of myself is going to work for me in the long run.

I actually do study Buddhism. It's been a really big help in my recovery. However, it's still not something I can turn my life over to as a solution. I know it may sound like I'm stubborn... but it's the truth.

I view Buddhism as a way of learning how to have a good life without having to rely on anything outside of yourself. Also, the Buddha was just a man (not a profit or a saint), and his teachings don't really lend themselves to the idea of turning your will and lives over to him, anyone, or anything as a means of salvation. In fact, the story of the Buddha's death says that his last words were... "All things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence". Basically... we have to figure this one out on our own.

Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not anti-AA. It's just not a major component in my recovery. And I don't think there's anything wrong with it being a major component of anyone else's recovery. The important thing is that we work on our recovery and maintain sobriety. As long as we don't do ourselves or other harm, it's not important how we achieve that.

for getting so off topic

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
OK, you don't believe in a Deity. How about taking refuge in the Buddha? Buddhism is about finding an end of suffering (Nirodha).

"In this life pain is mandatory but suffering is optional".

If you look at ALL of the promises described in the Big Book of AA - about a hundred of them are about an end of suffering.