View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
yorkiegirl

Hi Violet!

Your story is similar to mine (I so wanted to believe my husband was "functional" but looking he really wasn't) We have been married for 10 years (together 14, separated a year & a half). We have a 5 year old daughter. I left him (then eventually he went into recovery. We are trying to work things out, but remain separated). I also understand how the consumption of alcohol might be culturally interpreted, being from a very international/multicultural family too. However, your husband's & your lives are being negatively impacted by his drinking. . .this, to me, is a sign. It really doesn't matter what we call it (alcoholism, alcohol addiction, alcohol abuse, alcohol dependency, "drinking problem"). . .you are troubled by your husband's drinking. So, it's a problem for you.

People who are functional (& responsible social drinkers) don't drink & drive. And they certainly don't get into trouble with the law due to their drinking.

You came to right place, Violet! There are many of us who understand (& are going through/have been through what you are going through). Please keep reading & posting. There are a lot of people here who have rich experiences & wisdom to share. I am learning a lot too!

I have recently started to go to Alanon on a regular basis (I wasn't too keen with it at first but again I am learning a lot from really caring, wise people who understand those of us who have family members who are addicts/alcoholics). I hope you try out a meeting or two or three! (I think the recommendation is to try 6 different ones).

You, your daughter (& your husband ) deserve serenity. I will be sending positive energy your way & praying that you & your family can get through your challenges, regardless of what you decide to do (leave, stay, enter recovery, etc.)

Big hugs!