View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by thenameiso View Post
This is related to step three and turning your will and life over to God. We Agnostics seems to promote the idea of God as creator rather than God of your understanding. I was wondering first if people agree with this statement or not, and then whether this effects your ability to work step three as described in the book. thanks
Okay interesting. One reference for Step 3 that I like is from From "Barefoot" Bill L. A , (Working Step 3) a through read for sure...yet a good one.

I personally don't have a Higher Power of my understanding that resembles anything like like in the Big Book.

I see the BB authors delineate their connection to a Higher Power...God as they understand him. Then instruct the reader how that relation works with regards to the 12 Steps. It is exactly their path...again their path...to their HP.

Is my understanding of God no less because I have a different understanding? Is my spiritual connection to my HP less significant because I don't have the exact understanding of God as the authors of the BB have?

To what ends can I, a follower of the 12 Steps work a program of recovery and still maintain the integrity of a HP that personally relates to me?

In question is my understanding of an HP. But this question need not be answered by the BB authors. For that would be beyond mere suggestion into the realm of distinct instruction come of. Violating any resemblance of a program of suggestion...I guess it need not be.

I have been exposed to those that have interpreted the 12 Step program of AA...in a rather codified way, worked a program of recovery as such. I recognize such individuals quickly. I offer no resistance...it is as it has been instructed to those...blessed be in all your interpretations. Obviously it has worked for you and countless others.

Me, I merely accept my role as the more interpretive member of AA as a whole. Staying sober ODAAT. And fitting into a program that is completely counter to my world view. What an interesting trip it is.