View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dratsab

I agree with you. There is so much I have learned in recovery that I've been able to apply to other aspects of my life. And I do feel like I am feeling much more fulfilled. (Your Peterbilt analogy is great in describing that).

But, what I was trying to say is that there is no silver bullet (in my opinion at least) in recovery. I see recovery as requiring a set of tools that we need to apply to various situations in the best way we can. And I don't think there is one full proof way of applying these tools to get us by.

Then again, there are those who feel that resting their fate in God is the solution to achieving sobriety. That doesn't work for someone like me who is at best a Diest (and views God as a watchmaker). And I can't put my fate into a group of people, or to a doorknob. So, I don't find that as a fool-proof solution to achieving sobriety (and I don't discredit that it has helped others).

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I beg to differ. Indeed, most people do use recovery as an "End of Drinking Program". However, for those of use who have learned to use spiritual principles, it is an end of suffering program as well.

No, it will not get your job back, spouse back or bank account back. It can, believe it or not, get you the peace of mind, joy and sense of purpose that makes life fulfilling with, or without, material stuff.

Using recovery for "not-drinking" is like using a Peterbilt truck to deliver pizza. It gets the job done, but it is a tremendous waste of potential.