View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

That is, in fact, exactly why she is doing good things...

...along with the guilt that goes along with her disease, but I don't know how to help you, Rhode who is just like I used to be, understand that. Rayne is 100 percent correct that just because she isn't conscious of her motivations for doing it, that doesn't mean she isn't doing it. My wife used to do the EXACT same thing.

I'm not telling you to leave her-- I didn't leave my wife--, but you are going to have to work your own recovery program to even begin to understand what is happening on her side of the fence, and probably for a long time. That said, what is happening on your side of the fence is much, much more important right now, especially because you have children.

Take care my friend. I wish you, your wife, and your children the absolute best.

Cyranoak

P.s. I also need to point out that "being good" is a term we use with children. When used to refer to our spouses or significant others, something is very, very wrong. I know when I used to use it referring to my wife, I was doing so because I didn't see her as my equal. I saw her as simply another child I had to take care of-- I regret that now. It made things worse.

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
"I don't think my wife is doing good things so she'll have a license to drink."

This may not be a conscious or deliberate thought process on her part, but on some subconscious level, most alcoholics find ways to "justify" feeding their addiction.

It sounds to me like even though she is being "good" now, you're still uncomfortable with the amount of alcohol she has been consuming and the fact that she broke her commitment to you. Since you cannot control her, what can you do for you to find some comfort?