View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

It's unlikely to make one bit of difference either way. Whether you praise her for the good things she does, or scold her for her drinking, she will still drink until she's done drinking. It seems you are looking for just the right thing to say or do that will get her to stop. I remember looking for that, too. It doesn't exist.

I could coerce and manipulate my husband into doing what I wanted for a while. And I did it, several times. But, it never lasted. And it turned me into someone I didn't like very much.

You just aren't powerful enough to cure her addiction. I know how much that hurts, but once you accept it as the truth, you can turn your energy toward what you can control. Your life and the lives of your children. As the child of an alcoholic, I can tell you, they need you and your efforts. They need your honesty and protection. Your wife is a grown up, she will do whatever she will do. I hope you will stop wasting all your energy on trying to control her and put it toward making a better life for you and the children who are the innocent victims in all this.

L