View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think I need a 12 step program to help me quit google-ing! Most importantly, though, is the fact that I no longer have to drink today to quell my anxieties and I am so, so grateful for that!
One thing drinking does do is that it numbs us.....it mellows us out (it's a depressant, that's what it's supposed to do). Take away that "medicine" and you're going to have some "freak outs" until you start to learn how to live life without the escape-hatch of alcohol.

My early sobriety was plagued with constant attempts to be/feel in control, like I had a handle on things, like I had this big game-plan and knew right where I was going, how to get there, and what to do once I arrived. The reality was, I felt totally out of control and uncomfortable.

The steps and the program taught me that it was my out-of-joint ego and my self-centered thinking that led me to believe I had to "know everything" and had me believing that someday I'd actually get everything figured out and executed perfectly -- then I'd be able to sit back and relax. Of course, nobody get's there.... life is dynamic. It's lived forward but it's really only understood backwards. One of the coolest things I learned in recovery is that I DON'T need to really know ANYTHING about what's coming, how to control "it," or any of that stuff to get the sense of ease and comfort I was always chasing......but never really found.

As for losing sleep.....just tell the Doc you want your liver checked. They'll draw some blood, run it, and if there's some damage.....at least you know where you stand. That's another thing in recovery.....sitting back, freaking out, "hoping" it'll all just go away on it's own is no longer a viable plan of attack.