Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JenT1968

I certainly get that needing to follow through on promises for children, structure is important, following through on promises is important. BUT we also need to look after ourselves. I am trying to hold off promising anything to the kids until I am sure I've thought it through properly, but also giving myself permission to change my mind; I am not continually "forgetting" promises that I make, or making up BS reasons why I don't follow through. I am a reliable parent, but sometimes I am sick and can't honour the promise, or circumstances change etc. The kids will be dissapointed but they will survive as long as it's not my normal pattern and I try to deny it to save my own self-image.

I am a parent, all parents make promises that they later think better of, and it is your call on each of those whether to go through with it or not.

Feelings are feelings, neither good nor bad, appropriate nor innapropriate and their presence has been precipitated by past events, they haven't come from no-where. so maybe give yourself a break?