View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Walter

Sazza, just remember this is the worst time of year for us drunks. If you can make it into 2011 without picking up, you know you can make it the rest of the year. This was my 2nd alcohol free Christmas, and at this point it's almost fun to be the odd man out. I'm finding it easier to be very blunt about the whole situation. The other night someone offered me a drink; I politely turned it down. He offered a different drink, a shot. I told him "No, I'm not drinking tonight." He insisted on it and I just flat out told him, "I'm not going to drink it because I don't want to get to know the police around here." He didn't offer me any more drinks. As well he shouldn't...oh if only he knew.

I guess my point is be proud, man. You've done a hard thing and you can wear it like a shiny badge if you want. You're forced to bathe in temptation and then get up, dry off and go on with your day. It's a hard thing to do. As they become more infrequent and less intense, as weird as it sounds, I enjoy every craving because I know I'm winning.