Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Already

First post, looking forward to a sober Christmas

Just wanted to make an introduction post and thank everyone here for all the information and stories. Although this is my first post, this site has been a great help to me in my recovery. I found out last week my liver enzymes are elevated (AST and ALT both in the 115-130 range iirc). I stumbled across Sober Recovery while searching for additional information about the elevated enzyme levels.

My liver function test was on 12/16. I was very hungover when I took it. I polished off about a pint of my own whiskey that evening and then finished another pint of a housemate's liquor before going to bed. I woke up the next day and began my recovery. I did not receive the results of the test until the following Monday, but I already knew what they were going to reveal. I could just feel that things weren't right within my body. My withdrawal was very unpleasant for 3-4 days, but I had it much better than a lot of people.

Sometime around day four I realized there was no better present I could give myself than a sober Christmas with my family this year. I barely remember last year's Christmas. I was sick with a very bad cold. Out of anger/frustration at being sick on Christmas I drank myself into oblivion and wasted what should have been good time with my family.

I'm going back to the doctor in a month for a follow up test and keeping my fingers crossed that I can bring those numbers down some. I've been eating well, taking vitamins, taking Milk Thistle extract, and drinking a ton of water. I haven't had any alcohol and I stopped taking the pre-workout supplement I was using because I'm not sure how the high levels of creatine might affect my liver. I've even made it into the gym a few times, but I still feel pretty exhausted from the withdrawal and from my sleep habits being way out of whack right now.

I am interested in hearing other people's experiences with liver biopsy, ultrasound, etc. When did your doctors recommend those tests? I'm just curious if they normally come after one month, three months, six months, etc of high liver enzyme results. I'm not looking for medical advice (I'll let my doctor decide what needs to be done), but I would like to get a better idea of what I might expect when I go back.

Also, I pay for my health insurance out of pocket. I seem to remember having to answer questions about whether I've ever been treated for alcoholism or something to that effect when I took out the policy a few years ago. Right now, as far as I know, no such diagnosis has been made by my doctor; although that seems like a somewhat subjective thing to diagnose. Has anyone else taken out a health insurance policy after their recovery? Will admitting alcoholism to my doctor today make me a high risk to insurance companies and jack my rates up in the future?

Thanks again for all your help. Reading this site (and being sober for a little over a week now) has really opened my eyes to how bad I had gotten. Wishing everyone a good Christmas.