View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JenT1968

Hello! Welcome to this site!

my father was often angry and sarcastic: he didn't throw things, but we were afraid of his angry sarcasm and put-downs, even my friends were wary of him, and I didn't invite friends over because I never knew what mood my parents would be in. He often seemed to actively dislike my mother, who was depressed and anxious much of the time, she often seemed to actively dislike him. When they finally divorced I was very glad, they both later remarried and are much nicer happier people.

I'm not advocating divorce but I do get sad when people stay together for the sake of the children. my parents said they stayed together for our sake, but I always thought, even as a child, that this was an excuse to cover for their unwillingness to face that they weren't suited. It was a horrible marriage and did us immense harm, living with fear and tension, modelling a horrible dynamic to us as a "normal" relationship.

I'm not saying yours is a horrible marriage, that is not my place or call, although it doesn't seem that you are healthy and well in it, but just a point of view to think about.