View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tupsi

Hi skgarcia:

I am really sorry you are going thru this. I am a woman and my mother is a recovering alcoholic. She was very high functioning for a time (no one but us knew) but she went down hill fast. I'm a bit older than you, but I remember her calling me drunk every single night when I was in college and telling me I was a horrible person or trying to pick a fight with me. Like your mom, my mom blamed me. It's just an excuse.

As an example, my mom once tried to convince me she could drink because she figured out what her issues were. That doesn't even make sense, now does it?

It's not a fair illness. I was always the "good child", got great grades, never caused any problems and my mother still was an alcoholic. It wasn't till I was much older that I realized it had nothing to do with me. I could have been a lottery winning Miss America and it still would have turned out that way.

Your mother, like my mother, is ill. And there is nothing you can do, besides support her IF she decides to get treatment. I would suggest going to some Al-Anon meetings, if nothing else, you would feel less alone. It feels sort of corny at first, but it really does help. You will probably look around in amazement, shocked, that people are verbalizing how you feel. I know I did. You could try to ask your dad to go with you, but don't be surprised if he says no. Even if you are the only one that goes, that is enough to start changing things.

As far as moving out or college, try to see if there is anyone in your campus mental health center that can help you go through your options. What helped me was moving away from her and supporting myself until she decided to get help.

I know this is easier said than done, but try not to let this ruin your life. Form friendships with healthy people who are able to care about you as much as you do them. Most kind people will not run away screaming once they hear your mom is an alcoholic, instead, they will empathize and care about you.