View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Relatively speaking then actually stopping drinking is the easy part but it's the staying stopped where the real 'work' starts. It sure isn't easy and much of it can be painful and uncomfortable but it's necessary if you want your life to change around and improve. It takes time and doesn't happen overnight, it takes as long as it takes.

For me then I use AA, SR and much wisdom from elsewhere and I also addressed lots of stuff using mental health resources on NHS once I was ready. My advice would be to get as much help as you can, especially living in England. I got sober at 23 and was a willing participant in the national sport of binge-drinking back in the day.

I accepted the truth that I'm an alcoholic and that to drink is ultimately to die for me and lose everything in the process. I was sick of being unhappy, depressed, cynical and feeling hopeless; I was beaten by alcohol and was willing to surrender and dedicate my life to my recovery from my alcoholism. Until I accepted my alcoholism then I wouldn't have stood a chance as that first drink would have been taken eventually or I would have just felt like a pressure cooker. Alcoholism is primarily a 'thinking' problem and not a 'drinking problem' so my thinking had to profoundly change or else I would just pick up again.

I was ashmed to be a drunk but I'm not ashmed to be an alcoholic and instead I'm actually very grateful and I can safely say that accepting my alcoholism and thus stopping drinking and living in the solution "was the best thing that ever happened to me."

All The best.