View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi Onetime Welcome!

Sometimes our 'friends', end up being toxic to our recovery. I hope that isn't so for you, but it happens, unfortunately.

I never shook either (or lost a job, a relationship, got a dui, went to jail etc etc), but I am an alcoholic, and it almost destroyed my life in so many other ways. It really doesn't matter if you identify yourself as an alcoholic.. you know that alcohol is a problem in your life, that's why you're here.. HUGE step.

Personally, I'd skip the party.. no need to be in an environment dripping with alcohol this early on, but that's your call. My sober date was 12/18, two years ago, so I TOTALLY get how hard this time of year is.. trust me I do. But they are just days like any other, and in true recovery we do learn how to live sober, long term.. regardless of what happens in life, what holiday it is, how the weather is outside, whether or not we're having a bad hair day (ok, now I'm being facetious, but you get my point).

I'm really glad you're here. Facebook wont help you recover, but I know SR will, if you're ready!