View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thumper

Originally Posted by skippernlilg View Post
I do not accept his drinking. That is why he no longer lives with us. I do not want him drinking around me or my son.
Then why go with him to a party where he'll be drinking?

Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
I spent a wonderful New Year's Eve once with my younger A bro. There was no tension or turning these kinds of questions over and over in my mind because we just did something totally different - instead of meeting at one of the many usual NY's Eve parties thrown every year by family & friends we went and did First Night in Boston. It was freezing, we bundled up, brought big thermoses of hot chocolate and coffee and we walked around the city and saw all the celebrations.
This, or something like it, is such an awesome idea! If you want to spend the holiday with him thinking along these lines would greatly increase the chances of great memories.

It kind of sounds like it is more that you want to spend time with the aunt and the rest of the family and not necessarily him though? If that is the case you'll have to just think about what you can accept. Is it worth being with him while he is drinking? Is there going to be high drama and awkwardness being with him and his family when you are no longer living together? Would going earlier in the day and bringing a brunch with you and leave before the actually party work for you?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as long as you think it all the way through and expect the expected.