Thread: Know it all?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by GoshinJ View Post
So professionals are a special class who can't be seen by other AA members?
No... you will find professionals at any AA meeting. It doesn't matter who or what a person is... the malady of alcoholism is equal opportunity. Some medical professionals, nurses, doctors and pharmacists, in certain areas, have a special group which is closed for them only, but they are usually just a supplement, rather than a replacement, for regular AA.

Hmm, my own opinion on this changes as I go further down this road..... My own home group tolerates mention of our experience with drugs, but encourages us to limit our discussion of them to how they relate to our problems with alcohol, From my own experience, both personally and from shares I have heard from others, for some reason, and I can't say how or why, exactly.... when we limit our discussion to our problems with alcohol, it seems that the group is more unified, it is easier to identify and ultimately, I think, it facilitates our discussion of the solution... and that my friend is what I want to hear... How did you recover using the program of AA? What was your experience?....

My own home group tolerates short excursions about substances other than alcohol. What we don't want, is shares that are stuck in the problem and not the solution...

Ok,Ok... so you smoked crack... whatever... what was your experience with alcoholism and tell us how you found the solution... and don't leave out your spiritual experience... that's why we are here, to share our own experience with that and to listen to yours...

Mark