Thread: New and nervous
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
cmhcali

I think the tough part about this disease is no one can tell you whether you are an alcoholic or not. And there is a very fine line between a problem drinker and the real alcoholic. The problem drinker given sufficient reason can stop or moderate, while the real alcoholic cannot. I am the real alcoholic.

What helped me when I first got sober was going to meetings and listening to what people were saying. Not just there war stories but really listening. I could identify with the feelings these people were having. I could relate when someone said I was miserable when I went out with a crowd that socially drank for a work function and sat there saying it was pointless for me to be there unless they drank more.

I think it is just keep reading here what others write. Asking questions. Even if it asking people to share there experience. I didnt end up in AA because I wanted a new social network, I ended up there because I suspected I had a problem and learned that I did and was loved by other people because of this.

So welcome, just keep reading, asking questions, and maybe hit a few meetings. Your journey is your journey and I am glad you have started it and that in itself is a miracle.