View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
crystal226

Getting the most out of therapy

Just went to my first individual counseling session. Felt kind of lost as I randomly blurted out various things about my life with no direction. It was pretty much no dialog, just me airing all the dirty laundry I could come up with. The counselor is very new and doing clinical work...she was provided by the state because I am very low income. I am not sure if it is just her or if it is me, but when she asked me about goals for counseling I drew a blank. I want to give this thing another shot and if it doesn't work maybe try another counselor, but now I am questioning what I am really going to get out of it. I was just sitting there feeling like why am I here. I feel depressed, I feel lost, but what I want...why is that such a difficult question. I don't really know what I want to get out of it I guess. I just feel lost in my life. I am separated from my AH and having a hard time dealing with that and sorting out what to do now that he is attempting recovery for the first time. I grew up with a drug addict for a father and I know that has an affect on my approach to my AH. Many of my friends are/were involved with drinking and drugs and I guess I want out of the lifestyle. I feel like I am doing pretty good on my own and that maybe Al-anon could be enough without the counseling too, but I thought the support of a counselor might also be helpful. Now I am wondering if counseling is really right for me and if it is how do I define goals for myself.